Arrival

So, I made it to Canada! 3 hours to Gatwick, a 10 hour flight, 2 hours in immigration, and I made it. I’ve been in Vancouver for 10 days now and they have been hectic to say the least. From the moment of arrival, the university has kept us constantly busy with orientation activities, ice-breakers and scheduled trips. It wasn’t until Day 4 that I found enough time to go to Walmart and buy BEDDING. Up until that point I was sleeping in a sheet and using my hoody as a pillow – not ideal.

For the first few days in BC the weather was GORGEOUS. An average of 28 degrees, sometimes reaching 30. Although campus is not the most colourful place I have ever seen – there is a lot of concrete which makes me think wistfully back to the red brick of the University of Birmingham – it does look rather impressive in the sun.


 Burnaby Mountain Campus 

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge

Between the (endless) orientation that occurred in the first few days, myself and some of the exchange students managed to get out and see the city. We visited Lynn Canyon, with its crystal clear waters, and watched others braver than us Cliff Diving. We also crossed the suspension bridge. It really does sway as you walk and that was more disconcerting than I had anticipated – apparently I don’t love heights.

The next day we headed to Stanley Park to visit Second Beach. The weather was stunning, and we swam and sun-bathed while looking at the city across the water. Hanging out at the beach definitely made the trip feel like a holiday, and it was strange to think “I actually live here”.

Stanley Park 
Football in the rain...

Now that we are ten days in, life has slowed down some-what. I and the other exchange students have had a chance to settle in properly. Class has begun, which means the inevitable reading has too. The infamous Vancouver rain has also kicked in. Apparently it rains here solidly from September to April! There go my hopes of snow, and it looks like I’m going to have to invest in a sturdy rain jacket instead. Watching the first football game of the season whilst it was pouring with rain brought down the hard reality of “Raincouver”.



I have also managed to buy a few more things for my room: cushions, photos, plants. Having just those few items has really helped my room, and my flat, feel like home. So that, combined with the routine of class and exercise, means that life is starting to feel a bit more normal. I will update you with more adventures soon! <3


Comments

  1. Your room looks good. Thanks for all the news. Love, Dadxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts