An Evening with Rupi Kaur

Last week, my friend Fiona and I headed Downtown to the Orpheum Theatre in Vancouver to watch Rupi Kaur perform. We were blown away.

I first was introduced to Rupi Kaur’s writing through the medium of Tumblr – that dangerous website where teenage girls go when they are full of self-hate and find others that feel the same. It is somewhat unfortunate that it was in this space that I first discovered Rupi’s work. Much of Rupi’s writing in Milk and Honey deals with triggering issues, such as domestic violence, abuse and self-hate, and this was the form of her work I first came across. It is heart breaking and heart wrenching and powerful. But not all of her work is painful. Rupi, in her beautiful and simplistic style, addresses healing, new growth and self-love also. Thus, Milk and Honey simultaneously understands your pain and torment, and shows you how to heal.

Rupi’s work is empoweringly feminist, inspiring young women to love themselves and their bodies. Her writing is beautiful, with elegant illustrations that compliment her poems. I was given Milk and Honey as a gift from one of my closest and dearest friends when I was going through a very difficult period of my life. Thus, the book is important to me, not just for its content, but in a sentimental way, as a gift from someone I loved at a time when I needed it most.

When Fi mentioned that Rupi would be performing in Vancouver in a couple of weeks, as she was touring with her new book, I was immediately enticed. The Sun and Her Flowers was released just last month in October 2017. It is rare to find yourself living in North America at the same time that a renowned North American writer is touring, so we had to make the most of the opportunity. The performance took place at the Orpheum Theatre, an absolute stunning location and not the kind of building that I, as a poor student, usually frequent. We sat awaiting Rupi’s arrival amongst 2000 young and empowered women, and when she arrived, we were not disappointed.


I don’t know what I was expecting from the poetry reading, but it definitely was not the energy and enthusiasm that was physically and audibly expressed by the crowd when Rupi came onto stage. I think the words “Poetry Reading” often depict an image of a dull and un-enthused crowd of middle agers. This was certainly not the case. Clapping and cheering from an empowered feminine audience greeted Rupi as she arrived, and she responded to the crowd with the same enthusiasm. Dressed exquisitely, and stood in the centre of a semi-circle of petals, she was a symbol of beauty and power, which would inevitably resonate with any woman. She was funny, and classy, and somehow managed to make it feel as though she was having a private and personal conversation with each and every person in the room, despite there being 2000 seated there.

Rupi read a number of poems from The Sun and Her Flowers, dealing with themes of sexuality, identity, healing and growth. Particularly powerful to me was the chapter roots, addressing her own ancestry and experiences of hybrid identity, something that is uniquely Canadian. I was touched by the openness with which she discussed her relationship with her mother and the difficulties her mother faced in the past - arriving in Canada with four children and without the local language, her degree suddenly worthless. The ability for someone to be so open with an audience of strangers is astounding. Rupi read in a vibrant and engaging way. Every listener in the room hung on to her last word, responding with the appropriate cheer and applaud when elements particularly resonated with them. In between reciting her poems, she also performed slam poetry – poems to music. For me personally, this was the most beautiful part of the show. The skill with which she weaves her words is truly beautiful.

The energy in the atmosphere was not something I had expected from the evening, but in hind sight, I should have. As such a powerful feminist figure, it is not surprising that Rupi Kaur sparks such strong reactions from a crowd. Although her tour came to an end this weekend in Ontario, if you get the opportunity to go see her, you really should. I was blown away by her performance and the sense of community within the audience, and feel very lucky to have caught a glimpse of this Canadian treasure during my time here.  

Comments

Popular Posts